Throughout your training you will meet and liaise with members of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Education Unit (ACEU). All registrars have a dedicated GP Synergy cultural educator in their subregion – you can find their details on your trainee portfolio tab in GPRime.
The unit plays an important role in the implementation of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Training Strategic Plan. This includes being involved in the education and training of GP registrars in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health such as:
- delivering Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health training days that support GP registrars to understand the complexities and opportunities that working in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health offers
- developing educational resources and tools for registrars training in Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs)
- cultural awareness, guidance and support for registrars in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- supporting cultural mentors for registrars training in ACCHSs.
Contacting the ACEU
You can contact the ACEU on 1300 477 963 or email@example.com or your cultural educator at any time for advice or support. Some common requests for assistance include:
- access to cultural mentoring agreement, logs and uploading them onto GPRime
- navigation to the GPRime e-learning course for GP registrars working in an ACCHS
- understanding the local Aboriginal culture, heritage and surrounds of their training location
- getting to know the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community Elders and their role in the community, and understanding the relevant cultural protocol for each Aboriginal country
- identifying the local Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal organisations and their role in referral pathways for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander primary holistic healthcare
- understanding the cultural and social determinants of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- awareness and education around culturally significant events e.g. National Sorry Day and NAIDOC events.
You can find out more about the ACEU on the GP Synergy Aboriginal health website.